Re: Can we document how to do GNOME announcements, please?

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 3:57 AM, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:
Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out what the best place for GNOME project
related news & announcements is recently, and it's *really* hard. This
is in the context of announcing deadlines for attendee rates for Desktop
Summit accommodation. We've also had the call for papers, announcement
of the schedule, we have keynote interviews, etc. The DS has been
generating quite a bit of news, and yet, you wouldn't be able to tell
from looking at desktopsummit.org or gnome.org.

We have:

* No news posted to www.gnome.org

You can add a news blurb to www.gnome.org. But it has to point to an article some where else.

Aggregators:
* planet.gnome.org - aggregating personal blogs, definitely not a news site

I think it would be good to occasionally have news things posted there. For example the IRC meeting notices never hit Planet and so most people don't see them.

* news.gnome.org - aggregates announcement mailing lists, project blogs
& the foundation blog - also not a news site

It was changed from a news site to an aggregate a few years ago because we had no news. I think now that we have a strong marketing team, GNOME Journal team and press team, we could change it back.

Basically, someone not familiar with GNOME comes along & can't find out
our news & announcements,

I too think this is a problem. Especially for companies interested in getting involved in GNOME.

someone inside GNOME wants to make people
withing & around the community aware of something, they have their
personal blog aggregated on Planet as basically the only way to do that.

This has always felt really weird to me.

1. Either:
 - Make http://news.gnome.org a Wordpress blog and document who can add
news items to it

And remove the other feeds? Or just have a way to publish news too?

 - Turn gnomejournal.org into something more like lwn, with regular
small updates, and more irregular, polished articles
: and use the one we choose as the GNOME news & announcements site

I think GNOME Journal would be cool with regular updates like lwn or just blog posts with a monthly/quarterly theme.

3. Find out who can post to the foundation blog and potentially use that
as a way to publish news items when appropriate.

We can add anyone we think is appropriate. I believe I can post to it but I can't add user accounts.

Stormy