Re: Can we document how to do GNOME announcements, please?

Hi,

Allan Day wrote:
> Thanks for kicking off this discussion. It's something I've meant to do
> myself at various points in the past (I think I even started writing up
> an analysis at one point...)

Cool!

> I've been keeping the front page of gnome.org going as best I can. There
> are some short articles there about the GNOME Foundation elections,
> feature proposals, etc.

Wow! Sorry Allan! I totally missed www.gnome.org/news - it was "below
the fold" when I checked the front page, and I basically just didn't
think to scroll down. So yes, this would be a good place to do a news
feed - better than news.gnome.org, I think.

What's involved in posting news there?

> I have often found myself having to link to emails on gmane.org when
> advertising announcements made by the release team. This looks terrible.
> GNOME announcements should be GNOME branded and they shouldn't look like
> they are from the 90s.

I agree. In general linking to mail.gnome.org would be slightly better
than gmane :)

> We really need to get a proper process going for granting posting
> permissions to gnome.org. I started putting this together on the wiki
> [2] and posted to the web hackers list about it [3], but I never got a
> response.

I'm not on web-hackers - honestly I wasn't aware it existed.

> That's more or less where we stand right now. If we want to do a more
> fundamental restructuring of our news platforms (which I think we
> should), we should discuss goals and strategy before getting into
> specifics. What are the different groups of people we want to provide
> news for? What kinds of news do they want (and are there any overlaps)?

Sounds good to me. In the short term, I have a couple of news items for
gnome.org/news which it'd be cool to get up.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary