Re: Goodies for GNOME 3.0 launch parties

Frederic Muller wrote:
> Dear marketing,
>
> Last foundation IRC meeting we touched on the Foundation approval of
> some budget for goodies to teams that will celebrate GNOME 3.0 on the
> release date.

Great stuff! I'm looking forward to hearing the details of this (as well
as trying to bag me some goodies)!

> How shall we announce this (and where)?

Planet GNOME, Identica, Twitter, www.gnome.org... any others? (I'm
interested in this too.)

> In fact I am also interested in a more generic question which is how do
> we usually use our channels to announce stuff? I tried to motivate
> people with the T-shirt contest but didn't receive much feedback except
> from the people I contacted personally. How do we actually usually
> promote stuff outside of the GNOME community? (I thought GUGs would be a
> good way, but they seem a little bit sleepy ;) ).

Good question! I've been thinking for a while that GNOME needs an
outward facing media channel. The Planet and GNOME News are primarily
places where we talk to ourselves. www.gnome.org is outward facing and
has a news section, but it isn't primarily a news site (you certainly
can't subscribe to it)... A blog or news site where we talk to our
partners and to GNOME enthusiasts would be a great way to promote GNOME
and to keep people in tune with where the project is going. It'd need
volunteers if it were to become an enduring reality, of course...

Allan
--
Blog: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/
IRC: aday on irc.gnome.org