Re: Goodies for GNOME 3.0 launch parties

On 01/18/2011 10:18 PM, Allan Day wrote:
Frederic Muller wrote:
Dear marketing,

Last foundation IRC meeting we touched on the Foundation approval of
some budget for goodies to teams that will celebrate GNOME 3.0 on the
release date.

Great stuff! I'm looking forward to hearing the details of this (as well
as trying to bag me some goodies)!
You can find the planing document here: http://live.gnome.org/ThreePointZero/EventSupport

How shall we announce this (and where)?

Planet GNOME, Identica, Twitter, www.gnome.org... any others? (I'm
interested in this too.)

In fact I am also interested in a more generic question which is how do
we usually use our channels to announce stuff? I tried to motivate
people with the T-shirt contest but didn't receive much feedback except
from the people I contacted personally. How do we actually usually
promote stuff outside of the GNOME community? (I thought GUGs would be a
good way, but they seem a little bit sleepy ;) ).

Good question! I've been thinking for a while that GNOME needs an
outward facing media channel. The Planet and GNOME News are primarily
places where we talk to ourselves. www.gnome.org is outward facing and
has a news section, but it isn't primarily a news site (you certainly
can't subscribe to it)... A blog or news site where we talk to our
partners and to GNOME enthusiasts would be a great way to promote GNOME
and to keep people in tune with where the project is going. It'd need
volunteers if it were to become an enduring reality, of course...

Allan

Sorry I wasn't clear. In fact I was wondering if we had a list of contacts (as in LUGs, news sites, community sites, distributions sites) to who we were in touch with and pushing information to?

as well as a 'tracking mechanism' to know for each communication item who had been contacted and not?

If not I definitely don't mind starting a wiki page (though how safe is it to put a list of contacts?) and start to put the people I "spam" with my current GNOME information. It's probably best that the point of contact to the group we know well remains the same, but that at each 'communication item' we coordinate and spread the news outside of our gnome circle.

Note that I am not sure a wiki page is the best way so please feel free to comment on the idea (if it's not already implemented in some ways).

Thanks.

Fred