Re: Pre-release marketing and community management [Was: getting www.gnome3.org]

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

Dave Neary wrote:
> (To allay fears of hardware compat issues)
>  - Draw up a list of graphics cards used in desktop hardware in the past
> 3 to 5 years, ordered by market share/volume of sales, and match that to
> current compatibility of free software drivers for the hardware with the
> 3D requirements of Clutter. Ideally, someone with a GNOME 2.x desktop
> should be able to run a command, get a chipset, and be able to tell
> before he installs how well GNOME 3 will work.

I found this:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

Which is a list of currently commercially available graphics cards

Sounds like we could get a matrix list going and send a call out for volunteers to try it on the various chipsets.  It is probably too early to do that just yet as jhbuilds of gnome-shell is still not quite stable.  We'll need to figure out when is an appropriate time to do that.  If there is a separate testing mechanism for clutter that we could use that would be great.  Probably ask ebassi about that.

Are we including Wayland on this as well?  Probably not I guess.

sri