Re: Brand Guidelines Update

Allan:

The question seems to be what the most appropriate place for this
content is. Can the specification of our logo usage sit on the same page
as a potentially looser set of branding guidelines and still perform its
legal function?

Sounds like a question for legal-list gnome org.

Another question: does the specification of how our logo should be used
have to be named 'branding guidelines', or can we move this material to
another page? Could the current content be moved to
http://live.gnome.org/LogoGuidelines, for instance?

No, it does not need to be named "Branding Guidelines".  It would be
okay to call them "Trademark Guidelines".  As I have said before, it
would be best to move the legal information off the Wiki entirely to
the fgo website where it would be more official and less subject to
random edits that might negatively affect GNOME's legal positions.
Perhaps somewhere like a subpage of here:

  http://foundation.gnome.org/licensing/

But, it has been years since anyone has really loved the fgo website.
It cries with neglect, really.  Perhaps if it only had some of those
cute little animals, a kite, or a tree...

If we do this, then some of our trademark forms would need to be
updated to point to the new website, but that would be sensible to
do and pretty easy for me to take care of.

Anyway, if we move the trademark legal information from its current
Wiki location, then I recommend moving it to the fgo website instead of
moving it to another Wiki location, then moving to fgo later.  I would
prefer to not have to update the marketing forms more than once.

'Branding guidelines' does seem to be the appropriate title for the
material I want to produce.

Perhaps, but it probably involves some work and coordination to move
the legal content of that page somewhere more sensible.  If the
Marketing team wants to use this Wiki page, then perhaps we could
give the fgo website some love and address these concerns?

Or, if you want to discuss with the legal team how to organize the
legal and marketing information on the same page, you can; but I'd
think this would really involve more work.

Brian