Re: Brand Guidelines Update

Hi Allan,

Allan Day wrote:
> I wasn't aware that the brand guidelines are official or legal
> documents. They are guidelines. Maybe the foundation should bless them
> with officialdom... I'm not sure what that would achieve though.

It's to do with sucky trademark laws. If you trademark something, you
have to police its use. Branding guidelines outline things that are OK
and not OK to do with your brand. Therefore, they have the potential to
weaken your ability to defend the mark later, thus, legal issue. Thus,
lawyers typically get to look at branding guidelines. Their clients,
however, are free to ignore that advice in the name of effective graphic
design.

Cheers,
Dave.

--