Re: Fwd: Software Freedom Day

I think we adhere to the Franklin Street statement.  Adding Sandy
Armstrong, one of Snowy's lead developers to the CC. Comments below:

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 14:48 -0600, Stormy Peters wrote:
> Here's the Franklin Street
> statement: http://autonomo.us/2008/07/franklin-street-statement/
>

> Developers of network service software are encouraged to:
>
>       * Use the GNU Affero GPL, a license designed specifically for
>         network service software, to ensure that users of services
>         have the ability to examine the source or implement their own
>         service.

Check, we're using the AGPL.

>       * Develop freely-licensed alternatives to existing popular but
>         non-Free network services.

I don't think Tomboy Online is being developed as an alternative to
other services but possible.  Maybe Evernote?  I really haven't used
competitive products.

>       * Develop software that can replace centralized services and
>         data storage with distributed software and data deployment,
>         giving control back to users.

Check.  Users can install their own Snowy instance if they don't want to
use Tomboy Online, which is GNOME's centralized service.

> Service providers are encouraged to:
>       * Choose Free Software for their service.

Check.

>       * Release customizations to their software under a Free Software
>         license.

Check.  We haven't set up a specific repository for Tomboy Online as
we're using the Snowy repo on GNOME's git servers, but if we were to do
that, we'd continue to use GNOME.

>       * Make data and works of authorship available to their service’s
>         users under legal terms and in formats that enable the users
>         to move and use their data outside of the service. This means:
>               * Users should control their private data.
>               * Data available to all users of the service should be
>                 available under terms approved for Free Cultural
>                 Works or Open Knowledge.

Yes and No.  The user controls their private data - they are his or her
notes.  The user can set if they're public or not.  However, the second
bullet - just because a note is public doesn't mean that it's
automatically under a CC license, for example.  Maybe we can add a
feature to add a copyright / copyleft assignment to notes similar to
Flickr.  I don't know - not sure if I'm reading this right or if it's
applicable.

Paul