Re: Booth Slides

Hi,

Christer Edwards wrote:
> I'm manning the GNOME booth this year at the Utah Open Source
> Conference. They planted us just next to the KDE booth, I'm sure as a
> little joke.

Conferences always do that - I guess they have this idea that we don't
*really* hate each other... I wonder what makes them think that. (Hi Jos!)

> In any case, the KDE booth has a nice graphical slideshow of
> information about KDE. While we have more swag (stickers, etc) they
> have active information rotating about their project.

Definitely a nice idea.

> I hope we'll be able to come up with something similar for future conferences..

I'd suggest (as I usually do) concentrating on applications - not what
is strictly GNOME, but what the user can do easily using GNOME.

On that note, here's a selection of ideas for a 10 minute slideshow (20s
per slide, 30 slides):

* Organise your photos
 - Present F-Spot (although it does look like Shotwell is fast gaining
in stature & may become the de factor GNOME photo management app within
a year or so) - logo & default application screenshot
 - Easy import: "You have plugged in a device with photos" dialog
 - Tags & search: Using metadata to get relevant content quickly
 - Easy export: Export to Flickr, Picasa, web page, etc...

* Multimedia
 - Playing video with Totem
 - Handles subtitles, DVD chapters, etc
 - Telestrator support with Gromit (I love this, and it makes for cool
screenshots)
 - Manage music collection with Rhythmbox (or Banshee - not going to get
into a religious war)
 - Get content from online stores (Amazon, last.fm, Jamendo, Magnatunes)
 - Follow your favourite podcasts
 - Easy ripping & import of CDs
 - Easy burning of audio CDs

* Media creation
 - Pitivi for creating video montages & slideshows
 - Cheese, GNOME Audio Recorder,  for recording video, audio
 - Record my desktop for screencasts maybe?

* Games?
 - Slides of common games

* Graphics
 - Inkscape
 - The GIMP (a couple of slides doing some photo manipulation)
 - Agave (Plan colour schemes)

* Internet
 - Instant messaging: Pidgin? Empathy?
 - Web: Do we want to show Epiphany? Or advertise that Firefox
integrates well with GNOME?
 - Email: Same thing: Evolution or Thunderbird?

* Programming
 - Text editor
 - Eclipse
 - Glade
 - Devhelp

What other stuff could we advertise? Hardware integration? Tomboy?
Accessibility (how to show this on slides, though?)? Anything else?

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary