Re: New donators roles

Em Ter, 2010-06-01 às 14:43 -0500, Diego Escalante Urrelo escreveu:
> Hi everyone

Hi Diego. Hi all.

> we have a long standing pending item to define how smaller companies and
> non-profit groups can associate to GNOME. This means re-thinking our
> donation options.

Great time to discuss that. In time for 3.0. See below.

> Currently we offer Advisory Board fees or free range donations in FoG.
> This works fine for individuals and our heavily involved AB companies,
> however we are missing out smaller companies that might want to donate
> one time or regularly and get visibility for it.
>
> A possible layout of our options would be this:
>  - (unchanged) AB members:
>   + annual fee: 10K/20K
>   + link in foundation.gnome.org
>   + usual association and mentions
>   + AB seat
>
>  - (unchanged) FoG (individuals):
>   + various fee options
>   + souvenirs
>   + listing in donors history page
>
>  - (new) Company donations ("companies' FoG"):
>   + various fee ranges or case-by-case discussion
>   + logo in donors history page
>   + logo in /friends/ footer and/or other sections of gnome.org
>
>  - (new) Supporter (mostly non-profits?):
>   + discussable fee or contribution (maybe some resource?)
>   + logo in some 2nd level page in foundation.gnome.org
>   + we keep an eye to work with you in the future
>
> The big questions:
>  - what can we offer to companies? ideas:
>   + logo on gnome.org/friends;
>   + gnome.org/something to hold logos and links to our donors;
>   + mention in all events organised by the Foundation;
>   + "Supporter" sponsor level in the next N hackfests or events;
>   + press release for the new relationship;
>   + ask for spreading news about FoG (for example);

I'd go deeper and would display their logos in the desktop. In the About
dialog. Following the same rule at website (the more a company gives,
the larger is its logo).

I'll tell you what I have in mind (and what I actually started coding):
We could rewrite the About dialog for 3.0, bringing donators, FoG, AB
closer to our users.

In this new About dialog we would show companies, individuals and
Foundation members, categorized by Country and or Type. Don't worry with
the layout, I've already contacted some art guys and the design rocks.

This would give a huge impact on how our sponsors are advertised, agree?
Their logos would be accessible in millions of desktops. Also, we keep
your idea about website. We'd go with both options. Double visibility to
our donators/contributors.

> Currently you don't get much credit for donating as a company unless you
> get to the AB and there's no defined position or role for groups like
> guifi.net to associate with us.
>
> Also past individual donors have a not very visible list on
> gnome.org/friends/, we could have a much better display for them.
> Maybe some other concept instead of a list, maybe a big mosaic like the
> "GNOME is people" one or something?

Those issues are gone with my proposal above.

> Hope to hear from you!

Done.

Jonh Wendell
http://www.bani.com.br