Re: Campaign Proposal

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 12:34 -0600, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 21:27 +0000, Nelson Marques wrote:
> >

> > Hi all,
> >
> > In attachment there is a proposal for a new campaign and it's goals. To
> > unravel this a bit, it aims to position GNOME brand as an ecological
> > supporting brand alongside with some things we can do to promote this.
> >
> > Another aspect interesting is that through this campaign we are also
> > trying to mobilize new artists to cooperate with GNOME Project.
> >
> > There are other concerns, and this campaign was designed to be a generic
> > campaign that would allow other campaigns to brew from this one, mainly
> > to support GNOME through art.
> >
> > I am proposing with this campaign the following:
> >
> > 1. Give names to GNOME Releases based on endangered species which share
> > strong points with the main features of GNOME. This is appealing to
> > users and at some point allows the usage of a more catchy name for every
> > release, thus we promote a social responsible cause and broaden our
> > contributors to a new standard, including organizations which promote
> > several endangered species through the donation of art and media such as
> > high resolution pictures, movies, etc.
> > This is also a great opportunity to advocate the usage of Free
> > Standards.
>
> I like this idea a lot.  We stopped doing release names a few
> years ago, largely because of the controversy over naming one
> of our releases "Temujin".  Some people decided that choosing
> non-controversial release names was near impossible, so we just
> stopped doing release names altogether.
>
> This proposal would involve us making a value statement, and
> that could cause some controversy.  I'm not saying not to do
> it.  It's just something that people should be aware of if they
> try to push this through.  There could be pushback, and there's
> some history.
>
> If I could make a request, could we not start with the Iberian
> Lynx?  Apple is well-known for naming their releases after cats,
> and I fear if we started with a cat, the "endangered species"
> theme would get lost, and people would just think we're copying
> Apple.  After we've established the theme, by all means bring
> out the cats.  I love cats.
>
> --
> Shaun

 How are the GNOME's community feelings towards the Red Wolf (the most
endangered canine species with less than 50 specimens)? I can seek
cooperation with the Missouri Department of Conservation for this issue
(http://mdc.mo.gov/).

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwXcPs_5J6g

 There is also a wicked option, the spider monkey, I probably assume
this has a lot of fans within GNOME:

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1XVyqqqPi4

 There is a Bolivian organization who is fighting for the spider monkeys
and the Amazon rain forest (their habitat). Can also seek cooperation
with them.

 Nelson.