Re: Issue 19 Planning

On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 19:51 +0000, Luis Medinas wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 19:39 +0000, Nelson Marques wrote:
> > Paul,
> >
> >  I've contacted Mr. Jacob Volkner from AHEAD's office in Germany who is the
> > European Press contact from AHEAD to answer me some questions related to AHEAD
> > flagship product Nero (which also uses GTK2 Technology on it's Linux version).
> >
> >  If they cooperate with me, I'm planning to write an article named "GNOME
> > Desktop, interaction with Proprietary Software".
> >
> >  Once I get more developments from Ahead AG, I'll keep people informed. It
> > would be nice if they published a link in their webpage for the GNOME Journal
> > article aswel.
> >
> Sounds a little bad to me this kind of article. If GNOME is all about
> Free Software why are you writing stuff from Proprietary Software ? We
> should encourage our users to use Free Software instead of Proprietary
> (Nero, vmware etc...).
> Personally i would be very sad to see an article with Nero and not a
> single article for Brasero which is a GNOME application.
>
> Cheers
> Luis

Luis, thanks for the email.  I more than understand your concern about
proprietary software, but at the same time a number of for-profit
companies use GNOME technologies.

I've already emailed Nelson, and depending on the content of the
interview, we can exercise editorial control in accepting the article.
I think in some cases, doing an interview with companies that use GNOME,
even to build proprietary software, can be ok.

As far as Brasero, I think that's a different issue, and that's just a
matter of having a volunteer to come forward to write an article about
Brasero and it's features, and we would love to include it.

Thanks.

Paul