Re: Learning from the best

I think we need both approaches since GNOME has quite a wide user base.

A short summary with a wide "read more" is something that works for both worlds, since we have advanced users and average joe users.
My parents are interested in changes in GNOME (they both use it) but are far from advanced users (i am happy if they know their way around Synaptic Package Manager).
So for them it is better to have short summary's of articles and the option to read further if they want in depth information.

I think this works the best for both worlds.

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

Joey Ferwerda wrote:
> The attention span of general people are very low.
> Thats the reason why Twitter is 160 characters max, the facebook
> messages are short, most of the Blogs contain a "read more" button with
> 90% of the post, youtube does not allow large video's for regular users
> etc etc.

At this stage, I have to ask: is this "stop energy" (i.e. "I don't think
you should waste your time doing this") or a proposal to spend more time
with a micro-communication strategy (Twitter, Facebook & daily links
type stuff)?

I really like the longer articles, and it's the kind of thing I'd like
to see more in the GNOME Journal - and I'd even volunteer to write one
or two, and encourage others to do the same - but I don't want to spend
time arguing about whether it's useful or not.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary