Re: Hello and suggestions

Hello Zonker,

2010/4/2 Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <jzb zonker net>

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Marc Hanisch <dubst3pp4 googlemail com> wrote:
> I think it should be easy to provide a common Gnome environment for OS X
> with a underlying Fink or MacPorts installation. So the non technical
> enduser wouldn't notice all the powerfull unix tools behind but could use
> it.

Perhaps I'm not very well-versed with Fink/MacPorts, but don't these
require a bit of command-line fu to get something up and running?

IIRC, using MacPorts or Fink requires the user to:

* Install Apple's dev tools so they have access to X11 and compilers, etc.
* Install Fink/MacPorts
* Then run things like "port install xxx" and so forth to get packages.

Not trying to dissuade you at all from promoting GNOME tools on Mac OS
X, but I'm not sure that those build steps are going to work well for
"non-technical" users.

You're right, you need the dev tools. But all those steps like 'port install gnumeric' could be done by a graphical installer and 'package manager'. But this requires someone with experience in Objective C and Cocoa programming...

We should *absolutely* be promoting GNOME packages that have native OS
X installers. And we should have information about compiling GNOME
packages for OS X for users who can be interested in digging a bit
deeper, but I'd call those "pre-technical" users. :-)

So it would be easier, as you mentioned, to give an overview of all those applications, that work without compiling. Just clicking a dmg and move the application to the application folder.

Maybe we could create a list / wikipage with users in the mailinglist interested in Gnome on Mac OS X?! Or are there so few ;-) ?

Best regards,
Marc