Re: Exploiting the Nokia N900 release

El sáb, 05-09-2009 a las 10:07 +0200, Roberto Galoppini escribió:

>  I do not much about how GNOME technologies is used in NOKIA products,
> if you can help me to understand it better it would be of great help.

Well, Nokia Internet Tablets are GNU/Linux-based pocket-size computers.
For having a real computer experience you need a set of components to
make this possible.

The main Maemo components are from the GNOME Mobile Platform that is a
"subset of the proven, widely used GNOME Platform." "In addition to the
core user experience toolkit (GTK+), the platform includes crucial
functionality such as multimedia support (GStreamer), instant messaging
and presence (Telepathy), Bluetooth (BlueZ)"..."and network service
discovery (Avahi). APIs are available for developers using C, C++ or
Python." [1][2]

For my view, the good thing about Maemo is it means a complete native
mainstream mobile programming platform, similar to desktop, where you
can program on C, C++. The other mainstream GNU/Linux based mobile
application frameworks are much oriented to specific enviroment and
languages (Javascript for webOS Palm Pré and Java for Google's Android).

Quim Gil gave a talk on GCDS about the next version of Maemo, Maemo 6,
code named Harmattan. You can watch and listen here [3]. The main
difference that will be introduced on Maemo 6 is that Qt will be support
officially by Nokia, instead of GTK+ with Hildon. This is a logical move
after the acquisition of Trolltech by Nokia. On this new version GTK+
and Hildon will be supported by the community. The rest of the GNOME
mobile components used on Maemo will be supported by Nokia as on the
current version of Maemo, Maemo 5, codename Freemantled. "the maemo
platform will actually still more or less be GNOME Mobile, except that
it will be using Qt instead of GTK+" [4]

[1]http://www.gnome.org/mobile/
[2]http://www.gnome.org/press/releases/gmae.html
[3]http://flors.wordpress.com/2009/07/05/maemo-harmattan-keynote-at-gcds/
[4]http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/2009/07/04/Nokia-GNOME-Mobile

> About questions we'd love to hear why GNOME stuff became part of their
> open source strategy, why they have choosen it at the very beginning
> and how are they profiting from using it.

I really think that Quim Gil is our man for your questions. My advise is
to contact him as soon as posible.

Sincerely,

   -- Juanjo Marín