Re: Google Adwords Application for Review (WAS Re: Google Adsense versus Adwords)

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Claus Schwarm <clschwarm googlemail com> wrote:
On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 12:54 -0600, Stormy Peters wrote:
> Any feedback or input? I'm going to submit this tomorrow. (Probably
> with some final word smithing.)
>
> Stormy

Yes. Please wait.

First, look at the character limits:

12345678901234567890123456789012345

Free photo editing software
Use free and open source technology
to edit your photos. Supported by a
strong community of developers.
Open standards. Technology you can
use.
www.gimp.org

Free home and small business finance software
Don't get locked in to proprietary
formats. Free and open source
technology to manage your finances
securily. Used by many nonprofit
organizations.
www.gnucash.org

Both are over the limits.

Second, the texts are, uhm, not so good. "Supported by a strong
community of developers"? That's just creating the impression that
there's NO such community! Otherwise, why would one mention it? "Open
Standards": Who cares? (Yes, I know, we do. But we're not the target
audience, right?)

I agree. These aren't the ads. These are supposed to be sample ads for the application. They want to know what type of things we will say. When we get to real ads, I will push harder to get feedback but right now I want to get the application in.

Third, the landing page of GNUCash sucks, really badly. No wonder,
everybody still screams for a port of Quicken and the other one.

It's a waste of money, since it probably could find better options with
some days work. Come on, these two application can't be the best we
have!

I was looking for applications that also work on Windows since most people searching will be using Windows. We could use Inkscape instead of gnucash.

What applications would you suggest?

Forth, we should really research better keywords, first. There are free
tools for that.

Absolutely. Again, these are just examples. If we get the grant, we should do quite a bit of keyword research. Google has tools for that too.

Fifth, do I understand this correctly: Somebody searching for "photo
editing" may get a GNUCash advertising?

No, I created two sample adds, one for gnucash and one for gimp. They'd have separate keywords and separate ads. This is just the application for the grant, not the actual AdWords set up.

Sorry, it's quite late here and I can't make no alternative suggestion
right now. Please don't rush. Let's work on this, first.

Or make sure we can submit another application if the first one is
rejected.

Ok. If you or somebody else is willing to help out with this, I'm willing to wait on it. I'm also willing to work on it (and would wordsmith a bit more before submitting it) but need help on what applications to advertise, what to say about them and what keywords we should pick.

Stormy