Re: GNOME 3.0 Marketing Brainstorming #1 - Audiences

Thanks for nailing these down, Luis!

Luis Villa wrote:
On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Paul Cutler <pcutler foresightlinux org> wrote:
* Users

As Brian was saying, users is too broad. Lord knows I love all of
them, but we're probably best off focusing on specific groups of users
that are within reach. An offhand list:

* college compsci students: these are the next wave of our developers;
lets reach out to them at a time when they have lots of time and
energy to experiment. Ideally this branches out from not 'just'
marketing into educational and training outreach- get them to work on
gnome projects and such, like Mozilla does.
Maybe look into how we can get new contributors into the project in general. (not really 3.0 specific though) We could perhaps do special GNOME dev days where people can show up on IRC and get introduced to GNOME development and ask questions without feeling stupid. Anyway, feeling I'm drifting off the subject a bit.
* 'low functionality' windows users- windows users who live 95% in
their browser already (lots of parents, grandparents here- don't use
many apps, don't use many peripherals). Pitch them on having firefox,
and the rest being virus free and easy to use.

* (if somehow the product blows our minds): normal windows users.
focus on security but also the awesome new features. Again, depends on
actually having awesome new features, and (ideally) a suite of apps
that integrate them. b/c both of these are still somewhat
hypothetical, a major push on this front may have to wait.
Perhaps we should find Our Place in the Universe and have the distros take care of this bit. In general, as people really don't care what a Desktop is, it will be quite a effort to first explain that (and that it's not a Operating System, whatever that means or that you can't install it on your XP box), and then we'll just end up pointing them to a distro anyway. I just feel it might be a bit too much effort and that we might loose them along the way in nine times out of ten.

GNOME apps available on Windows could be a different story though.
- Andreas

* Linux distributions
* Media
* Developers

Who else comes to mind?

Paul

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Paul Cutler <pcutler foresightlinux org>