Re: Marketing Tasks

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 8:12 PM, Paul Cutler <pcutler gnome org> wrote:
Hi Marketing Team,

I don't know if anyone has had an opportunity lately to review the list of Tasks on the Marketing page on live.gnome.org at http://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing/Tasks.  There are a lot of great ideas, and it's organized by active tasks, non-active and then by one-time tasks and ongoing tasks.

Great!

It can be a bit overwhelming browsing through everything we want to do!

It is overwhelming and we should try to knock these off.  3.0 is coming!

I don't know about you, but I organize stuff a little differently, and I'm a little more goal oriented, so I re-organized some of the tasks and tried to assign due dates.  You can review at http://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing/Tasks/MarketingTasks2009

Thanks for doing this.

I've also continued to work on GNOME 3.0 Marketing.  A couple days ago I posted a link to some potential campaign ideas, and that ties to marketing calendar I've started in OpenOffice.org.  It includes potential marketing vehicles and outlines development time for the various vehicles and launch dates.  The download link is posted on http://live.gnome.org/GnomeThreeBrainstorming

Help I need from the marketing team:

* Review the marketing campaign ideas and give feedback (http://live.gnome.org/GnomeThreeBrainstorming)

The first one seems fairly fleshed out, I like the whole "Software for a different generation" and "fundamentally different"  that really speaks to me.  I'm not so enthusiastic about the other one which tries to insert "freedom" more than I want to.  It's hard to incorporate that without sounding awkward IMHO.  I think we should go with this one and dump the other two.

I really wish we could get these products to include a GNOME logo or something.  Intel has "Intel Inside" and we should do something like that.  It is in the interest of these companies to allow brand recognition.  The reason being that we need to use this as a source of revenue, and a source of contributors.

Anyways, I think the audience is also fine.. Do we not want to include families?  After all, we do offer email, photo organization, and what not?  I've personally think we want to hit famiilies as a target?

Gaining new developers is another important goal.  I think we've started to lose momentum in getting new contributors.  Most of the active people are still the active people 5 years back.  Just saying.  We're doing great with retention but lousy with new developers.  Outreach is pretty hard since we don't have the kind of people who can reach out and get people to come, and at the same time when they do show up we need to guide them to doing task, make them feel welcome etc.

* Review the current task list (http://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing/Tasks)  (Is it up to date?  If your name is on something, are you still working on it?  What else should we be thinking about?)

OK, why is stormy in all these projects? I think she has enough one her plate, we need to remove her and find other contributors who can help out.  We need one volunteer for each of these items.  The one volunteer has one goal, and that is to gain other contributors to make the objective happen.  So we are looking for LEADERS here.  Please volunteer if you are willing to attract other volunteers and help out.

I especially would like to see the video contest as I think that is going to be important.  I'm not available to work on this until much later as I've busy with putting on a conference in September.  If nobody will step up, I will take on the video item since I course think it is a good idea.  :-)

* Review the 2009 tasks (http://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing/Tasks/MarketingTasks2009) (Are they prioritized correctly, or should some tasks move months?  What else would you want to add?  Change?)

Looks aggressive, we will need some kind of project plan for each of these...

They're wiki pages, so please feel free to edit, or give feedback via email.

I'll try to do some editing on the wiki regarding the video project since I need to work on that.  Diego told me he would help out.  Right, Diego?  (Don't weasel out on me, you know I'm your overlord)  I'm willing to help out on some other items if needed.

sri