Re: Launching New Friends of GNOME: need review for two sentences for gnome.org

Question/suggestion: are you considering student rate, à la FSF?
<http://tinyurl.com/ywsfmj>
We hadn't and that's a good idea.

> Sentences for front page of gnome.org:
>>
>> New Friends of GNOME program launched! A big thanks to all our supporters
>> for their love over 2008 - here's to GNOME's success creating free and open
>> source software for all! Come support free software in 2009 with our new
>> $10/month program ... and a postcard from your favorite hacker!

What about allowing donors to leave a message (à la wikipedia)?
<http://tinyurl.com/8xlnso>

I like that. Like the Facebook Wall.

I think that transparency about how this money is used is necessary.
What about anticipating donors - if this is the case - that you will
be publishing detailed financial yearly reports?

Everything's public right now. We should put a link to it ...

>> Friends of GNOME is a way for individuals to support the GNOME project's
>> mission of providing a free and open source desktop for everyone regardless
>> of ability. With no advertising or outreach, we've raised anywhere from
>> $6,000 to $20,000 a year from generous individuals.

Would it be possible to put a link to such generous donors?

They are all listed on the web site. We'll have to make sure the link is obvious.

>> People have requested an easier, more consistent way to donate and we hope
>> our $10/month program will fill that need. We will use the additional funds
>> raised to continue to support our volunteer community in accomplishing our
>> mission of a free and open source desktop for everyone regardless of
>> abilities.

What about publicly state next year goals and objectives?

That is on the new website and I think it's obvious.

>> The GNOME project depends on volunteer support from corporations and
>> individuals. Support of both time and money. Please consider signing up for
>> Friends of GNOME today! http://www.gnome.org/friends.
>
> Thoughts welcome! We'll be launching later today.

I hope it helps,

Thanks very much. Welcome to the GNOME marketing team!

Stormy