Re: Friends of Eclipse

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Stormy Peters <stormy gnome org> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 7:52 AM, sankarshan <foss mailinglists gmail com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Stormy Peters <stormy gnome org> wrote:
>>
>> > We could definitely do a student supporter. The Linux Foundation does
>> > this
>> > and recently added a Christmas option for them.
>>
>> This is nice to know. Thank you.
>
> Are you proposing one?

I am sorry I could not comprehend the question. What I intended to
convey that perhaps the Marketing team could create a 10 USD
contribution aimed at students. The usual question that crops up is
"how do we know that they are students", I'd say that let's not care.
Having an easy way to let someone contribute a small amount to a
project they love should allow us to reach out to a larger base of
people via friends, neighbors, social network loyalty than worry about
validating a student identity.

The only question is whether 10 USD would be an amount that would
bring in a contribution after processing fees. I confess I am not sure
about an answer to that.

>> Another aspect that struck me was
>> that the Friends aspect is somewhat messaged towards an individual.
>> "Friends" can logically also help in community building by allowing
>> local GNOME UGs or, groups to band together and raise funds. Is there
>> a chance to send out that message ?
>>
> Just propose how ...  I don't think we can send much email to our
> contributors but we can definitely put out the message in other ways like
> webpages, Planet GNOME, GNOME Journal, Foundation list, etc.

The above was a thought that came to me when I was reading the content
of the page. It appeared to be focused on the individual contributor
rather than a "pass this message to those who will find it useful".
Frankly, I don't have a suggestion off the bat about how to wrap the
content other than perhaps p.g.o and GNOME Journal for starters.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog>

Sent from Brisbane, Qld, Australia