Re: "Hack-fest" in Brazil

Hey!

On 8/1/08, Jonh Wendell <jwendell gnome org> wrote:
> Hi, folks.
>
>  As you can see at [1], I'll be talking about GNOME in a regional
>  conference.
>
>  Besides the talk, there will be 'hack fest', where anyone can sit around
>  with their laptop (or use one provided by organization) and work on
>  GNOME development. I will be their 'mentor', to guide them on how to get
>  things done.
>
>  What do you guys suggest for such a job?

If they are beginners, you can teach them the basics on how to get the
development code and/or install dev packages. One thing that I deeply
love is apt-get build-dep for example, that's stuff you don't just
read on top of the ubuntu cd.

Some points I suggest you in that topic:
 - svn is just svn co, svn up, svn di. Nothing else, that simple,
don't botter learning version control, it will come with time.
 - ./autogen.sh --prefix=`pwd`/build is a time saver.

Another thing, you can get them to file bugs if they are not coders.
It's almost a discipline to report instead of scream in pain and rage
when you hit bugs.

If they are coders, you can get them to play around with the python
extensibility of epiphany, eog, totem. It's always cool for people to
know that they can modify their already running apps.

I guess the gnome-love bug list would be your best option to catch
easy bugs... or try them to find a small problem and fix it. You can
then ping maintainers on IRC.

No more ideas, breakfast time.

greetings