Re: Press release for 2.20?

On Sun, 2007-09-02 at 22:06 +0300, Quim Gil wrote:
> I don't think we need an official press release. We need though a
> theme and a first paragraph in the release notes

Yeah, good point.

>  summarizing the most
> relevant changes. We could then re-publish as article this theme +
> summary in http://news.gnome.org, linking to the release noteswith a
> 'more'.
>
> After reading the notes I believe the theme should go around:
>
> NEW DEVELOPERS, ENJOY!
> library.gnome.org and the improvements for developers: reference
> document for starters, GTK 2.12 and etc.

I'm very much against starting with stuff that's only interesting for
developers. Most readers will be enthusiastic _users_.

> If you are not convinced about this one then my second candidate would be
>
> TRULY MULTICULTURAL
> the improvements on i18n: right to left enhancements, that N'Ko
> example is wonderful,

It's interesting, but probably not immediately useful for real users
right now.

>  new supported languages and the total.

I'd prefer something like "new features in the Evolution email and
calendar client for users, plus improvements to the developer platform
and its documentation." though that's still rather vague.

I'll add something like this, though I might use some of your
suggestions from below instead.

> No matter which one you should as theme, the other one could be the
> second in the summary. Then I would also mention:
>
> - The easy codec installer for Totem.
>
> - Evince's improved PDF support.
>
> - Power management now more clever predicting battery time remaining.
>
> I would leave it here, but if you want to add more here are a couple
> of candidates:
>
> - Reorganization of Control Panel to simplify Preferences' management.
>
> - File manager can be integrated to contemporary local search engines
> like Beagle or Tracker.

Now that you list them like that it really does sound like some good
stuff.

--
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com