Re: GNOME Project Organogram

> Now, this is broken. Some examples of things that should be
> indispensable, but are not:
> * usability designers (not post-implementation usability testers)
should be indispensable to every screen of UI we write

I suggested some time ago that there should be a UI design team that coders can turn to and say, for example 'Make me a mockup / glade file for a dialog box that does X'.
It would result in a much greater consistency of UI across Gnome, and free coders from a task that they are often not very good at (scan Planet.gnome for a few days and you'll soon see a coder showing off a new dialog box they've made... in which the OK and cancel buttons are the wrong way round)
But for this to happen, we need the HIG to be updated, and for that to happen I think we need library.g.o up and running. And some usability people too!

On 2/12/07, Luis Villa <luis tieguy org> wrote:
I should note again that I think this indicates a *flaw* in the
project. This should be *inter*dependency, not *dependency* as it
currently is. But perhaps a good problem statement for the board, for
the marketing team, for the web team, etc., is 'how do we make
ourselves as indispensable as the coders are?'

I agree completely with what you and Quim are saying here.

But it's not just 'how can we make ourselves indispensable', it's also 'how can others come to accept our usefulness?'
You might remember a month or two ago there was a discussion here about how the marketing team's role is more than just promotion -- that it should also act as glue between all the different coding teams.
I suggested that the marketing team identify areas of Gnome that need work and push for them -- but I got the impression that the response to that was 'You can't tell coders what to do'.
Less code-centric also means less coder-driven, and for people doing non-coding work to be useful, they have to feel useful -- which is a bit of a chicken and egg.

Has anyone considered writing spec documents and proposals on the wiki, the way Ubuntu does?