Re: About The GNOME Mobile & Embedded Initative

<quote who="Joachim">

> Jeff, your communications would sound more sincere and less glib if you
> stopped loading them with meaningless words like 'rock' 'awesome' and the
> like.

Tough. That's the way I talk.

> Because someone -- I forget who, can't see to check, hate mailing lists,
> pointed out the marketing team has no mandate. Maybe it needs one?

So you're asking for a 'mandate' without having a definition of such, and
don't really know why? C'mon, seriously.

> As I see it, the major task facing the marketing team at the moment is
> getting the new wgo website up.

I understand what Quim was trying to do with this, but I don't think there's
any real advantage to making this a marketing team project. It needs the
focus of a tight, trusted team to put it together, define standards and make
it participatory once the basics are complete. Cacophony doesn't get things
done.

> This involves writing stuff about what Gnome is and what it does. And yet
> you've just gone and changed that quite substantially without bothering to
> give us a heads up.

Changed? Okay, mobile/embedded has been on the agenda since at least 1999,
probably before, it had a resurgence in 2003/2004, and it's now an obvious
part of the GNOME ecosystem. GNOME Mobile is recognition, support and some
good promotion, not change.

I don't expect everyone in the GNOME community to give the marketing team a
heads up when they're going to do something cool. It should *ABSOLUTELY NOT*
be an expectation of the marketing team.

- Jeff

--
Open CeBIT 2007: Sydney, Australia              http://www.opencebit.com.au/

   "You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to
       walk away, and know when to run." - Kenny Rogers, The Gambler