About The GNOME Mobile & Embedded Initative

I have thought long about this initiative. I would not generally
consider this a bad thing, but:

a) I do not like that this was not discussed at all in the marketing
list. Such major things and announcement have to be discussed with at
least the marketing team
b) I fear that this is in fact a movement away from the desktop
platform. I would rahther have suggested to found a new organisation
to do this because mobile devices are not really desktops.
c) In relation to that i fear that this binds ressources that
otherwise would have been there for the core desktop.

I know - many things are now developed for embedded devices already
and I also think that his is nice and cool but this truely is a whole
different issue. We even did not manage to get our web site updated in
time, wether for GNOME 2.18 nor 2.18.1 - so still many core tasks are
not solved and yet we are going into new directions without further
consultation of the marketing team.

I would like to know how this decision was made and why. And if you
really think that GNOME can really develop two platforms (mostly
standard desktop and embedded). I dont think so. And to me it looks
like GNOME changes direction.

Thilo

PS: At least we should discuss now what this really means for us now.
And what it means for marketing GNOME.
--
Thilo Pfennig
http://issues.foresightlinux.org/confluence/x/R