Re: About The GNOME Mobile & Embedded Initative

On 4/21/07, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri aracnet com> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 03:19:48PM +0200, Thilo Pfennig wrote:

> c) In relation to that i fear that this binds ressources that
> otherwise would have been there for the core desktop.

The people doing embedded GUI are already captured resources and
are now being paid to work on GNOME whether embedded or otherwise.

Ok, thats a ood point. But still it is a switch in focus, isn't it? I
understand that no every project can be talked about publically but
the question is if such a major step should not be discussed inside a
broader part of the public. I do not mean the details of  the deal but
about the changes that are implied. Ok, if all will follow (developers
and users) this will work. But if not we would have a deal that does
not work. Ok maybe I am being too sceptical.

The thing about focus is difficult. Web applications are also part of
the desktop - but is currently not really on our focus.

So question is: Does GNOME just go where the money is or does GNOME
have a vision? These are point that should not be excluding each
other, but I think its important to know how things are moving or are
decided.

I think we had lengthy discussions in the past how GNOME marketing
should be and also we talked about who we should talk to. As it comes
out it looks like the REAL marketing has not much todo with what we
discussed. That said I dont think that this is generally bad. But I
think our discussions and what we do should reflect each other.

If I look at GnomeMarketing page this does not reflect our new focus.
I do not see embedded hardware vendors as a primary target group. This
means that we did not see this coming? Or maybe it just means that
those who saw it never entered any informations about it.

This makes any marketing discussion based on old goals and assumptions
senseless and shallow.

Thilo

--
Thilo Pfennig