Re: Spreading the press release/release announcement and collecting press coverage

Hi Claus,

Claus Schwarm a écrit :
This is what could be made after feedback from a helpful Evolution
developer. Read it and ask yourself how many people are really
affected by these improvements. I'm not sure whether that would have
been sufficient to produce the headlines you're thinking of.

The problem with that page is:
1. technical focus, rather than user focus ("here are operations which are faster", rather than "Here are high-level usecases which are faster") 2. The language is pretty tame. We have a headline that says "performance tweaks" - a tweak to me is turning a screw in your motor, it's not dramatically improving anything
 3. It's not in the final release notes at all, not even as a footnote

Some performance feature improvements were mentioned in "Feature additions" (longer battery life for laptops), but nothing on performance improvements for non-latin scripts (see Behdad and Federico's Pango blogs), performance improvements in the platform (Ryan Lortie, Ben Maurer and Federico Mena's blogs - especially the file chooser - not to mention Manu Cornet and Cecilia Gonzales, Federico's Google SOC and GNOME WSOP students, and Michael Meeks's work in Bonobo), improvements to Cairo performance (see Macslow's blog), improved login time (John Rice, Federico Mena), performance of Evolution (pvanhoof, harish, Cecilia) or OpenOffice.org (Michael Meeks), Nautilus (Federico again).

Or how about the work that GNOME people have been doing on performance tools? Soren Sandmann's work on sysprof, or the call-tree scripts that Federico et al wrote to make those pretty graphs we've been seeing, or the work that got done on bootcharts because of a challenge thrown down by Owen Taylor (OK, tenuous link).

My point is, this was being talked about on pgo for months, people like Jono Bacon were raving about our performance work, and a little more effort could have gone into explaining that in a way that made real the benefits of the increased performance (and even more, the effort put into it).

Cheers,
Dave.