Re: Screenshot link on frontpage

Except that a screenshot won't quite explain
everything. You see a screenshot and you think "ah! it
does what windows does!"

To a new none technical user, I would say in some sense it does.=(

I would assume that most don't care about the freedom part or how it
is coded. The users don't see any of that, but beautiful screenshots
with lots of eye candy is what they see, and therefore what they judge
from.

Why would a new possible user care about the community part of Gnome,
if the software part of Gnome doesn't satisfies the users needs? To
convince a Windows user to convert is not an easy task, as most
probably have experienced =)

But gnome isn't like windows -- it has to sit on top
of linux and X (uncomfortably IMO) and you have to get
it through a third party... welcome to the chaotic
world of GNU/linux :/

Yes, I was going to save that one for later, but you tickle me =)

I am not sure what will be under "Download", but if there will be
tar.gz files of the latest Gnome release as the primary download, I
think the website is waited.

New users don't understand the Gnome/KDE concept, so giving them
tar.gz files of Gnome and then explain, that they most first download
a Linux distribution, and the compile Gnome, the visitor is lost.

Sure the latest version of Gnome is important, and it should be
available from gnome.org, but I think it is more important to have a
list of Gnome friendly live distributions and real distributions. And
perhaps a screenshot tour on how to install it with Gnome.

Martin