Re: Screenshot link on frontpage

--- Martin Jeppesen <d2xdt2 gmail com> wrote:

> I have seen the various mockups for the Gnome
> website, and I think
> that one of the most important features is a visible
> link named
> Screenshots.

Doesn't "Take the Tour" satisfy that?

> Being a 100% Linux user for more than 7 years it is
> quite clear to me
> what Gnome and KDE is, but I remember it was hard at
> first. I couldn't
> distinguish between window managers and desktops.

Same here.

> Today much has happened, but I still find it hard to
> explain to none
> Linux users what Gnome is.
>
> Since Gnome today also is a community new visitors
> may get the
> impression that Gnome is some sort of Open Source
> foundation that
> fight for rights, and they move on. Windows users
> don't have the
> desktop concept, so that is way I think a Screenshot
> link is of great
> importance, so Windows users don't get scared away.

Except that a screenshot won't quite explain
everything. You see a screenshot and you think "ah! it
does what windows does!"
But gnome isn't like windows -- it has to sit on top
of linux and X (uncomfortably IMO) and you have to get
it through a third party... welcome to the chaotic
world of GNU/linux :/

Win tickets to the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany with Yahoo! Messenger. http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/fifaworldcup_uk/