Re: GNOME store

Hi,

Quim Gil wrote:
> Killermundi will define the final price for each product and the cut
> that would go to the GNOME Foundation.

It would be nice to negociate this and have a price in the contract,
rather than leave it up to their good will. This is what I have done in
my (failed) attempts in the past.

> They say though that the price
> depends a bit on the volume of sales. Can we make an estimation of the
> initial sales?

Difficult - espêcially since we're talking regional rather than world
sales. They really shouldn't expect any more than about €20,000 in sales.

> I have asked also for reduced prices for groups, conferences...

Thanks.

> WEBSITE
>
> Would it make sense to have the catalog of products in our website and
> controlled by us, and then the identification/payment/shipment platform
> somewhere else, under the responsibility of the reseller. This way we
> would control totally the presentation of the products. Perhaps this way
> we could combine in the future the combination of various resellers in
> different countries: only one catalog and then the payment platform of
> the vendor corresponding to your shipping address.

It doesn't make for a nice user experience if you want to buy a few
things, and you end up having to buy off 3 different suppliers. It would
be nice to be able to constitute a shopping basket on the site.

I prefer having a site per supplier, with a filter page by region.

I don't think it's particularly painful having the payment platform off
gnome.org, but I hope that they can style it so that it doesn't look
completely different.

> I still think it makes sense to offer the possibility to make a donation
> to the GNOME Foundation in the checkout. The user is there, is buying
> GNOME stuff, has introduced her data (shipping address etc) and is about
> to introduce the credit card / paypal details. It's very easy for her to
> add a small donation at that point. Sending her to a different web page
> with a different form to make the donation implies that we are probably
> to loose that donation.

Good idea.

Cheers,
Dave.