Re: GNOME Logo Branding Guidelines Concerns

Hi Murray,

Murray Cumming wrote:
> Máirín is asking this partly because I think that some of the existing
> sub-logos on that page break our own rules about how to use the logo.

We make the rules. Trademarks are about quality control and corporate
image. So we can approve logos which are stylish and which clearly stay
GNOMEy if we want.

> I think these rules are important
> - to keep the brand visually distinct
> and
> - because I think the lawyers told the board that it was necessary.

The feedback we got from the lawyers (through Tim) was that the plain
foot is easier to trademark, and thus easier to protect. At least,
that's my recollection.

As it happens, the plain foot is not registered - the old rock-foot is.
That's why we still use TM rather than R with the plain black foot.

(note: we can use R with the GNOME name, and we probably should start
getting into the habit).

I disagree with you that we need to have plain black to protect the
brand - I think there's more value in allowing good variations of the
foot to develop.

Cheers,
Dave.

--