Re: Getting started on WGO content

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 11:59 +0000, Joachim Noreiko wrote:

> and I'm thinking 'Yikes... How are we going to do
> this?'

Together, with time.  :)

Suggestion:

- In the wiki we define the name of each page to be seen in the URL and
we describe broadly their content (brief paragraph, just enumeration of
point, no real copy). We consider the planning finished once we reach
this level of detail. This will be signed off by Dec 6th the latest.

- In the meantime, as soon as we have the wgo cms running we create the
pages and we start working with real content there. This will help us
finding in detail what needs to be researched, what needs to be
illustrated, what files we need to attach and so on. We should need to
have something decently browsable with all the caveats identified by
December 20th - Alpha Phase completed. From that point we will have
almost two months to complete everything and produce brilliant texts and
graphics: February 14th - String Freeze. Static English texts completed.

During this process we will discuss all the details. We can start
discussing now.

> I think the biggest problem is research.
> Just looking at the Get Started section, there is
> heaps of stuff I don't know -- what distros do we want
> to feature?

What about featuring on top those distros produced by GNOME Foundation
members (advisory board companies + community people producing good
distros). Then we have http://www.gnome.org/~davyd/footware.shtml , that
should be integrated to wgo.

>  What can we offer for Windows & Mac downloads?

We can start digging at
http://live.gnome.org/MarketingTeam/GnomeOnWindows

> Where's our LiveCD? Is it up to date, and who maintains it?

Now it's a good time to start discussing this. I wonder if it makes
sense to produce our own LiveCD being in fact a covered Ubuntu or
CoolDistroX. If someone wants to do this, great, If not we can rely on
the LiveCDs that are being buildt on top pf the last GNOME release out
there.

> Are there any volunteers?

Hopefully it will be easier to find volunteers once the rough pages are
created and all the 2.18 issues are identified. Until now wgo is being
quite abstract and is being tough to get volunteers.