Re: release notes: first draft

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 15:11 +0100, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> Thomas Vander Stichele writes:
>
> > However, not everyone in the GNOME community necessarily agrees with
> > this.  I got *a lot* of requests to add an mp3 recording profile to
> > gnome-media.  Historically, I've always refuted these requests because I
> > agree that GNOME should not be endorsing them.
>
> I guess that adding this profile is OK. GStreamer command line
> parameters are not patented. Applications will make it active/displayed
> only if proper GStreamer module is installed.

I was replying to Alan's change from "contain" to "contain or endorse".
My choice as a gnome-media maintainer was to not endorse mp3, period.
No matter how other people want to spin it, mp3 is not a free format,
period.

The fact that GStreamer command lines are not patentable is irrelevant -
in my spare time, I code for freedom, and I prefer not to endorse
patented formats.

All I was pointing out is that not everyone in the GNOME community has
the same motives - you've obviously noticed that e.g. Ronald has a
different motivation, which is fine.  But when writing the release
notes, we should try to reflect some sort of consensus on our
motivations, I think ?

Thomas

I hit him around a lot.
For Spike, that's like third base ...