Re: release notes: first draft

Hi Alan :)

On 3/7/06, Alan Cox <alan lxorguk ukuu org uk> wrote:
> On Maw, 2006-03-07 at 13:44 +0000, Edward Hervey wrote:
> >   I could go on very long about the quality/benifits of licensed and
> > unlicensed codecs, but I think the strong point here is that it
> > *allows* both for everybody's benefits (nothing *forces* you to
> > download/use them AFAIK).
>
> Given the goal of gnome to be a free desktop I think the description
> "take advantage of" is misleading. It allows third party vendors to
> "take advantage of" users. It allows users to be taken advantage of.
>

> And its hardly a feature from a software freedom perspective.

  revised version 0.3.a-beta-pre25-coma-7:

  "Gstreamer 0.10 will also give users the possibility to use, where
patents apply, multimedia plugins distributed by 3rd party vendors to
offer support for licensed codecs for which no legal plugins are
available."

  Does that make more clear the *freedom of choice* offered to users ?

  We are pushing strongly the support of patent-free formats like
theora/vorbis/dirac (for which Fluendo has already put in a lot of
efforts and is carrying on with projects like
http://schrodinger.sourceforge.net/), unfortunately we are not living
in a perfect world :(

  We ARE for free formats !

    Edward