Re: release notes: first draft

En/na Davyd Madeley ha escrit:

> Journalist ready press bytes are meant to be handled by the press
> release. As far as I know, no one has put their hand up for this yet.

If you look at http://gnome.org/start/2.12/ you will see that the
release notes are, in fact, our primary document to explain every
release. The fact of having an official press release doesn't imply we
can avoid journalist & regular user friendly introduction and style in
the release notes.

As a user I remember that anytime GNOME released a new version I dound
the news somewhere and I ended up reading the release notes. We can
expect most journalists / bloggers following just the same path.

> I can't remember why we decided not to do this last time. Maybe there
> wasn't a reason.

In the last months we have agreed that marketing the GNOME applications
is as important as marketing the GNOME desktop itself. In this context I
think the links to the project homepages are useful.

>>- "the GNU Image Manipulation Program" is mostly known as "the GIMP".
>

> I was recommended against this as it is a derogatory term for people
> with disabilities in some English dialects.

I see. I'm not going to enter in this debate but... is this our problem,
though? I mean, http://gimp.org/ refers to GIMP all the time. Magazines,
books and 99% of links and headlines refer to GIMP as well. If there is
an issue with the name it's the project responsibility to change it, not
ours. By not typing "GIMP" we are distracting/confusing a good % of
readers.

> You're saying that the current screenshot is insufficent?

All I can say is that I have never seen Deskbar in action and the
screenshot doesn't give me a clear hint of where it sits, how it affects
the desktop. I guess it is enough if you include its context (the corner
of the desktop with the piece of panel where the Deskbar lives - if I
have understood correctly this application).

> There is a lot of contention about gnome-screensaver, I really mean A
> LOT.

ok

> I wanted to avoid naming distributions.

Ok, but then you should create a 2.14 listing in you Get Footware page.
Otherwise users will get stuck there, because just a minority will know
the distros already testing GNOME 2.14.

> I'm not quite sure what you're saying here.

That IMO GStreamer 0.10 and specifically the approach to MP3, WMA and
other non-free codecs should be more prominent in the release notes.  :)

--
Quim Gil - http://desdeamericaconamor.org