Re: release notes: first draft

Davyd, this is pretty cool.

Marketing people, we need mass media friendly headline for this release
notes to help journalists write something about them. To me the non-free
codecs friendly GStreamer 0.10 and "The GNOME desktop is now measurably
faster" would be the two candidates to be remarked.

Here goes a not-short email with comments page by page.

http://www.gnome.org/start/2.14/notes/C/index.html

- The first paragraph could include at the end a link to "What's New For
Users". As Murray says, the chances of people not finding this link in
the right column are high and most insiders know already the generic
text explained after the screenshot.

- Before the screenshot I would add a second paragraph (or bullet list)
sumarizing what's new. We don't intend to detail everything but give the
highlights. Something like "The GNOME desktop is now measurably faster.
Local searching has been improved through Natilus, the GNOME help
browser and the new Deskbar, that can also integrate with Google Live,
Yahoo and Beagle. A powerful and integrated GNOME Screensaver replaces
Xscreensaver. The GStreamer multimedia framework offers official support
for non-free codecs like MP3 or WMA through licensed plugins. Popular
GNOME applications such as Evolution, Epiphany, Gedit and Ekiga (the
former GNOME Meeting) also incorporate new features. Also, a new
Administration Suite is offered to systems administrators featuring the
Sabayon users manager and Pessulus lockdown editor."

- Before the screenshot I'd add a brief third paragragh with something
like "You can test GNOME 2.14 through <link>our LiveCD</link>, the
distribution</link> shipping it."

- Consider adding direct links to thr mentioned applications: Abiword,
Gnumeric, etc. In the other pages too. Ideally these project pages would
have in their homepages prominent news related to the GNOME 2.14 release
explaining in detail what's new. Of course we can't control this but at
least we can facilitate this fluent user experience by providing the
direct links from the release notes.

- "the GNU Image Manipulation Program" is mostly known as "the GIMP".

- Consider linking to http://gnome.org/projects/ instead of
gnomefiles.org so we keep users in our website and we prioritise the
official GNOME projects. You could add then something like "You may find
more GNOME related software at <link>gnomefiles.org</link>".

http://www.gnome.org/start/2.14/notes/C/rnusers.html

- Consider a first paragraph summarising to make it easier to
journalists and other lazy readers.

- I'm good at being an average user and I get confused at the Deskbar
explanation. I think a screenshot capture where I see the deskbar in its
context would help me understanding it. I might be a potential user of
this new feature, maybe the explanation can be improved.

- In Better editor I would delete "and creating personal and business
websites is now a piece of cake for anyone." because... well, despite
Gedit improvement it's not "a piece of cake for anyone", nor we want to
recommend hardcodeing pages to create personal and busines websites. I
mean, is a sentence and a topic not essential in the release notes.

- "Also new, is the ability to write plugins for Gedit in Python" this
paragraph belongs to What's New For Developers.

- Consider deleting "For whatever reason, some users will wish to
continue using Xscreensaver. This will still be possible and you should
consult your vendor documentation on how this should be achieved." since
this is the same for almost any application distros or users choose
(i.e. Firefox vs Epiphany, Thunderbird vs Evolution, etc).

- "... take advantage of the latest GStreamer; including Totem, Sound
Juicer" the applications should have the same font used in previous
cases (and link, as suggested).

- "GStreamer 0.10 will also allow users to take advantage of multimedia
plugins distributed by 3rd party vendors to offer support for licensed
codecs that where no free codec is available." something in this
sentence is confusing.

http://www.gnome.org/start/2.14/notes/C/rnadmins.html

ok

http://www.gnome.org/start/2.14/notes/C/rndevelopers.html

ok

http://www.gnome.org/start/2.14/notes/C/rninstallation.html

- "some already have development versions with GNOME 2.14 available." we
should link them, either stating them in the release notes (a
consideration to those working in the edge of GNOME) or listing them in
your Get Footware page.

- If possible, I would make even clearer that there are relatively easy
ways to get GNOME 2.14 for the average/advanced user, leaving the others
only to developers. Live CD and distributions could go in a nice looking
, logo featured, download now etc style. Garnome, jhbuild and source
should go apart, with a title like "Developers resources" or something
disuasive to average users.

- The "Note" at the end of the page could go at the beginning of the
listing itself.

- Can the list of packages be put in a paragrapgh with commas instead of
the huge listing? It's the biggest "artifact" of the release notes and
in fact is interesting to just a buch of people. If I'm a user and I've
clicked to the "Installing GNOME" link it looks to me like something
important/relevant when (to me) it's not.

*** Additional comments

I'm not following the release cycle, just the Planet. There are some
things I remember that interested me and there is no mention in the
release notes. It's probably because they are not implemented yet in
2.14 but just in case.

- There is no mention to Tango, Cairo and other design / look&feel stuff
that seemed to be relevant by reading the Planet in this release cycle.

- The real time collaborative edition features planned or developed
around Abiword and Inkscape, are they ready?

- Also, with the OpenDocument format media awareness I think we should
mention something about it. It might not be something essential in the
context of the whole 2.14 but it's something that can get interest in
the context of the free software media/community.

- This is the same reason why I think we should explain more and better
the GStreamer & MP3 + non-free codecs love story, giving more relevance
to it in the release notes, going together with an explanation of how
great ogg 100% formats are abd how good GNOME plays with them. It hits
one of the most popular activities users perform and also hits one of te
most popular topics that media bring to headlines (music downloads, file
sharing, free vs non-free etc).

En/na Davyd Madeley ha escrit:

--
Quim Gil - http://desdeamericaconamor.org