Re: Writing the 2.16 release notes (and press release)

On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 11:12 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quim Gil wrote:
> > I want to help producing release notes and press releases more friendly
> > and effective for our user targets and journalists. What do we explain
> > and how, how do we show them in wgo and the projects subsites. How we
> > use screenshots, and screencasts. Also how these materials are
> > advertised afterward.
>
> I'm going to do something I hate to see people doing - throw out an idea
> and then fade back into the shadows.
>
> I've wondered whether we get decent exposure from the "What's new in..."
> articles - they're definitely interesting for a section of the public
> who already know about our software. But one thing I've missed is an
> overview of the desktop (not a massive overview, but how people actually
> use GNOME, and how the new stuff affects workflows. Screencasts fit in
> nicely here. A full desktop overview would take far too long to be
> considered for September, but perhaps for March?

Yeah, perhaps concentrate on new benefits instead new features (as
discussed earlier)? The 2.14 release notes gets this quite right IMHO.
Still, release notes are about a new release, not a platform
introduction. Or you meant a separate overview? We should definitely
have such an overview on the new wgo...

Greg