Re: The relation with gnomefiles.org

3. Remove non-gnome, non-OSS apps. Gnomefiles is a software repository for
all Gtk-dependant software, open or closed, black or white, thin or fat,
short or tall.

This is the point which cause us to distance ourselves a little from
gnomefiles last year, and it's still one I'm concerned about. GNOME is
free software, and I would like a GNOME software map to list only free
software. At the very least, it should be *very* clear when someone sees
a link whether the software is free or not, and that's not the case
right now.

GnomeFiles.org is a GTK software repository. It might have the word "gnome" in it, but the goal was always to list all GTK-dependant applications. And that includes wxWidgets, Java SWT and other binded apps that depend on GTK. As GTK is LGPL, the goal was from the beginning to list all of these applications without prejudice.

Besides, the fact that Gnome is GPL, *does not* mean that most of the Gnome users don't want to run non-free apps. I am using Gnome just fine, and so are many of my friends, and we _do_ use some non-free apps here and there. It is only safe to assume that many other Gnome users are doing the same. And so it would be a disservice to these users to remove non-Free apps, apps that they might need to do their job.

The way I see it, Gnome should cater for its users and not for itself. This means that while many of the developers & the Foundation prefer Free apps, most of its plain users might not care as much. These users must be taken care of too, because they are part of the Gnome ecosystem too, even if they might not be as hardlined regarding Free Software.

That was my line of thought when I went for Gnomefiles and it was a central key point of its creation. I am not planning to change this. As I wrote earlier, I WILL make it clearer what's OSS and what's not (I might even have it ready today), but that's how far I am willing to go with this. My reader's service is my goal, not politicalities.

Eugenia