Re: The relation with gnomefiles.org

Can you please provide thoughts for an optimal collaboration with a gnomefiles.org?

I would like to see either the XML feed used somewhere in the gnome.org site so new Gnome users find out easily that there IS an active source that provides GTK-dependant software. Now, if it would be possible to also get a bookmark in Epiphany or an entry in a future Gnome RSS client, even better, but it's not really a requirement.

In turn, I have a few ideas to make things more smooth for the new Gnome users visiting the site: 1. I think I can remove the ad banners completely, I think the owner of the server won't have much of a problem with it as long as the page views don't skyrocket. Gnomefiles currently averages on about 25,000 pages daily (which is 1/10 of what osnews.com on the same server does, so I guess the owner might not even notice ;-). 2. Make it more clear in the page if an app is proprietary so users can choose to avoid it (that was RMS' request last year). 3. I have already changed the Gnomefiles icons to Tango icons. I did that yesterday with the help of the Tango team.

A few things that _I can not_ do:
1. Change the code to XHTML/CSS. The current HTML code is there for compatibility reasons with older browsers and mobile ones (we have good support for all smartphones and PDAs via cHTML and for plain cellphones via WAP/WML). The site won't pass validation, but that's on purpose so it renders better with older, buggy, browsers. It was a design decision (you won't believe how many people browse the site with Dillo and Lynx!). 2. Open source the PHP code. I would love to do that (in fact an early version of the CMS was open), but the admin of the server is against this idea now because my code might... *cough*... not be very secure. 3. Remove non-gnome, non-OSS apps. Gnomefiles is a software repository for all Gtk-dependant software, open or closed, black or white, thin or fat, short or tall.

We could start the approach in the current release, adding them to the
"Single gateway to all the news sources provided by GNOME subsites",
making clear they are not a GNOME subsite, picking their feed as well.

Sounds good. I would love to get this up and running.

Please CC me if you reply in this thread, because I can't seem to be able to register with the marketing-list (maybe my request awaits approval, dunno).

Regards,
Eugenia