Re: wgo i18n (was Re: wgo revamp timeline (proposal))

On 7/11/06, Quim Gil <qgil desdeamericaconamor org> wrote:
However, we are approaching to a point of negotiation. Christian Rose
has made some good observations at
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/Localization and John Hwang seems to have
an interesting proposal for a decent solution for now (I hope tavon and
Greg Nagy come back from holidays so they can report by themselves).

Great, I'm looking forward to that.

[...]
Other paths are also feasible. We can consider them better once the
requirements are agreed. At the very end it is all about free software
programming and implementation: a sustainable negotiation between
requirements, resources and deadlines.

Certainly. I think your time-based approach of wgo development is the
greatest thing like, ehm, the invention of sandals, as it allows
things to actually happen instead of rotting away in endless
discussion. Thanks! And I know that given a time based schedule, some
things like even the full-scale i18n might end up being punted if we
cannot get it to work in time. It's not like not having a localized
revamped wgo would be a regression, compared to what we have now.
So my main concern is to get the requirements right, so that we do not
end up chosing a path that will make integration with our other
localization effort (The GNOME Translation Project) more difficult
than needs to be, even if we might not have that functionality from
day 1 (due to the time constraints or lack of human resources). I
still hope that we do, but then again, the schedule is aggressive.

The goals are set high (at least the i18n requirements so far are),
and no CMS that I know supports it out of the box, but the goals are
set high for a reason: We want our web site localization to be at
least as good as our software. If we can get this to work, then not
only will it promote GNOME and the localization of GNOME in a terrific
way, but I bet other projects that are looking for web site
localization in a larger scale might be interested.

Christian