Re: wgo revamp timeline (proposal)

On 7/7/06, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 11:25 -0400, Guilherme de S. Pastore wrote:
> Il giorno sab, 08/07/2006 alle 00.06 +1000, Jeff Waugh ha scritto:
> > I think a worthwhile rule for this entire process should be: No criticism
> > without solution. So please explain your point of view so it can be taken
> > seriously, and offer a solution to go with it so you're also moving things
> > forward.

Any strong reason that MediaWiki doesn't work?

I only look at this from the i18n/l10n perspective, so please bear with me:

From my understanding at looking at the MediaWiki source code,
MediaWiki supports localization, but with the concept of "one language
per installation". I.e. if we want to have the web site translated
into 42 languages, we need to maintain 42 separate MediaWiki
installations and databases.
This may be manageable for a site like wikipedia.org, but probably not
for www.gnome.org.

Ideally, there should be a minimum of efforts required to translate
www.gnome.org -- if translating or enabling a particular translation
requires sysadmin intervention, we simply won't have much (current)
translated content at all.

Christian