Re: www.gnome.org - content, scope, structure

El dc 02 de 08 del 2006 a les 15:00 +0100, en/na Joachim Noreiko va
escriure:

> What should wgo provide to a visitor?

... or what wgo wants visitors to provide.  ;)

First we need to identify the visitors we want to satisfy best. Let's
concentrate on

* third party developers
* public administrations
* hobbyists
* GNOME contributors

(more: http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/UseCases )

We want to put these users in a Way to Enlightment  :)

1. Those interested in software and/or freedom want to know about GNOME.

2. Those interested in GNOME want to try it.

3. Those trying GNOME want to use it more / better.

4. Those using GNOME want to be involved.

5. Those involved in GNOME want to have a second iteration knowing more
about GNOME, try other GNOME aspects, use it even more / better, get
more involved... (let's leave this one for the next release)

If we combine the 1-4 steps with the 5 profiles we might get a basic
list of use cases and a first bunch of pages and gateways to satisfy
them.

> To be fair, I looked up the term 'desktop environment'
> on Wikipedia, and I *still* didn't understand it.

To be fair, years ago when I wanted to know about GNOME I didn't quite
get the idea browsing gnome.org. I got it reading
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME and since then I keep thinking if the
contributors of that page have any relation to the maintainers of
gnome.org or with the GNOME project at all.

> [1] http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/NewWgoStructure

I have to say I'm getting confused with "Joachim's rough draft version
1" and the rest of sections. Would it be possible to have an
old-fashioned yet clear tree as in the Former proposal for New
Structure ?

If I'm understanding what you suggest, I think you are going for a wgo
with too many pages. I think wgo can be more useful concentrating
information and linking wherever you can find more.