www.gnome.org - content, scope, structure

Hi everyone :)

I've signed up for two of the goals for 2.16, because
they're closely related:
    * Define the content and scope of www.gnome.org
    * Define a clear structure for www.gnome.org

So... before I willy-nilly wade into the draft [1] and
play about with it, what are everybody's thoughts on
this?

What should wgo provide to a visitor?
It's our shopfront -- we should be able to attract a
curious passer-by, and welcome in regular visitors.

Newcomers should be able to discover what gnome is,
what it can do for them, and how they can get it.
Regulars should be able to get major news on gnome
(releases, maybe previews of what developers are
working on), and be pointed on to more specialized
parts of the site: funky artwork for their gnome, more
gnome apps, gnome documentation, support forums, etc.

If I might share a personal anecdote: several years
ago I heard about gnome and I visited the site. What I
saw looked very interesting, but I left unable to
answer two questions: What actually *is* gnome -- is
it an OS, or what? Assuming I want gnome, what do I
need and what do I do?
To be fair, I looked up the term 'desktop environment'
on Wikipedia, and I *still* didn't understand it.
We're in the slightly tricky situation of trying to
sell something that most people don't understand.

Anyway, I'm starting to get too much into the
specifics of what should be on an 'About gnome' page.
So over to you :)

[1] http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/NewWgoStructure