Actions (was: Surveys at conferences..)

Hi Sri,

My reaction to things like this is starting to be "great idea - who's going to do it?" We have lots of ideas currently lacking people following up on them - from collecting press contacts, to getting posters & t-shirts designed, through surveys and market research.

What we really need is a terse list of initiatives that we are working on with names opposite them.

Here's a short list of the stuff that's ongoing:

GNOME Journal (Jim, Sri)
Upcoming conferences (Claus)
LiveCD (Luis)
Press contacts (?)
Deployments list (Dave)
Printed material (posters/flyers/t-shirts) (?)
Market research (?)

Can we get some concensus behind a few outstanding points for overall strategy?

1) Main target audiences: Existing GNU/Linux users, public administration (both of these are huge and growing markets - they may even be too wide)
2) Main selling point: Ease of use

Bear in mind that selling points are different for different markets, and that we cannot market to everyone at the same time. We know we have a great platform, good bindings, cool apps, etc. But to get a core, focussed message, we have to concentrate on one thing we do better than anyone else.

We are the easiest to use Free Desktop.

Every review of GNOME I've ever seen has praised its clean, easy to use interface. So let's use that, and make it self-evident. Material should be clean, elegant, and have one simple core message - "Using GNOME won't piss you off. GNOME doesn't get in the way."

Can we start putting names to some of those ?s above, please?

Cheers,
Dave.

Sri Ramkrishna a écrit :
You know it might be interesting to do surveys at conferences to see
what people want.  Places like OSCON has a lot of people from school
districts, government, and purchasing depts from companies and getting
real feedback from them would be cool.  It might give us a better random
sample I think than a web one.

Just a thought.

sri

--