Re: [Fwd: GUADEC7 press release draft]

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:20:52 -0400
Luis Villa <luis villa gmail com> wrote:

> So I vote announce 'June 2006' ASAP, and figure out exact dates soon
> but without blocking other things.
>
> Luis

I don't think this is a very professional solution. If June changes for
reasons we can't influence, we'd need to correct it in another press
release. Otherwise we'd risk much confusion. No need to say how
unfortunate this would be.

If the board or the orga team really like to get this out, we should
mention no date, and write something like "Time and date will be
announced later." This is the thruth and not some guess work that may
bite us in the back later. The next press release then announces when,
and how long GUADEC will be, and maybe what sessions are planned.

However, I don't see any need to publish right now. The value of the
press release is date and place of the conference; the rest is just
background information, anyway. By using 'TBA', we'd loose value, and
thus impact.

If there are still open questions, we can wait until they are solved;
even if it takes the next three months or so. We don't miss any
particular chance by not publishing, AFAICS.

Cheers,
Claus