Re: Increasing membership of marketing-private

<quote who="David Neary">

> Jeff Waugh wrote:
> ><quote who="Dave Neary">
> >
> >>I would like to get more of the marketing team onto marketing-private.
> >>That way, we have more input from people from the community, improving
> >>communication. I would like to keep it invitation-only, though, to make
> >>sure that we don't get stuck in endless discussions when we just need to
> >>get a release out the door.
> >
> >Yes, the objective was to have a meritocratic system of 'promotion' (for
> >want of a better word) for people who are doing awesome marketing stuff
> >to join marketing-private, so that it is not wholly on the shoulders of
> >the Foundation board. The process of handling 'promotion' was not decided
> >back when the lists were first created - indeed, a formal process may not
> >be desireable.
>
> Yes, you're dead right (as are the others who contacted me). The
> marketing-private list was intended to be invitation only, as I said.
> Which means coming out with something resembling "get 'em while they're
> hot" was inappropriate.
>
> Apologies to those who contacted me already about this - I'll reply to you
> privately. But for the moment, until we've discussed it a bit, it's best
> that we don't add anyone, and when we do, it'll be off-list invitations
> only. Sorry for stepping over bounds.

Oh, I didn't take it as out of bounds, getting more people onto the private
list is *definitely* a goal. :-)

- Jeff

--
OSCON 2005: August 1st-5th         http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2005/

          "Not a lot of brothers there." - Jamie Foxx on Australia