Re: OSCON Booth planning..

On 7/15/05, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri aracnet com> wrote:
> > >   I need to determine if they agree to distribute it, how many they
> > >   will need and when.  Would it be possible to press say 1-2K cds?
> >
> > I got this done on about 4 working days notice for LWE, including
> > couriered delivery. If the conference starts on Aug. 1st, that means
> > we need to decide by roughly the 25th (22nd would be better.) Cost
> > would be fairly high- somewhere in the neck of $1.1K for 2K CDs, which
> > might be a problem. We can of course put OSCON content on the CD if
> > they want to defer our costs.
>
> OK, thats good to bring up when I talk with them.

Things we can change if they want to 'sponsor':
* put all papers on the Desktop
* change background/splash screen
* change homepage of browser

that's roughly the extent of what we can easily do, though.

> > > I'll look into trying to get an automated demo going because
> > > last year I find that people aren't interested in doing hands on
> > > approach to playing with GNOME.  A nice little automated demo will
> > > show things nicely.
> >
> > Hrm. I'd like to play with this, but I can promise nothing in this
> > time frame. Did you have any ideas on how you wanted to do it?
>
> Well, the participants are people who are in government and small to
> midsized companies.  A great target in my opinions.  So you'll see
> people who are sysadmins at school systems, or work in state govt,
> or have consultancy firms and so forth.
>
> Strategically, What you probably want to show off is this:
>
> * multimedia capabilities
>
>   * creating theora videos for educational purposes (ex the demo itself)
>   * streaming video demo
>
> * office compatibility (nebulous..no idea on how to show that)
> * maybe a sabayon demo on sysadmining GNOME boxen etc.
> * file management
>
> Stuff though like beagle would be killer because being able to get
> real time info about things would really drum up interest in GNOME.
> It's exactly the kind of thing that Windows doesn't have.
>
> Thats some stuff off the top of my head.

I meant more like 'how did you intend to do this technically' :) but
this is good data/good suggestions to have anyway.

Luis