Re: OSCON Booth planning..

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 02:51:22PM -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> I don't think we have any quite yet. Next year, definitely :/ [But
> someone else should feel to correct me.]

No worries.  If we can't do t-shirts, I am cool with that.

> > * I'm also trying to see if I can get a GNOME Live CD included in
> >   the conference packet that is given out to all the attendees.
> >   That will allow us to distribute GNOME conference wide.
>
> This sounds great.
>
> >   I need to determine if they agree to distribute it, how many they
> >   will need and when.  Would it be possible to press say 1-2K cds?
>
> I got this done on about 4 working days notice for LWE, including
> couriered delivery. If the conference starts on Aug. 1st, that means
> we need to decide by roughly the 25th (22nd would be better.) Cost
> would be fairly high- somewhere in the neck of $1.1K for 2K CDs, which
> might be a problem. We can of course put OSCON content on the CD if
> they want to defer our costs.

OK, thats good to bring up when I talk with them.

> > I'll look into trying to get an automated demo going because
> > last year I find that people aren't interested in doing hands on
> > approach to playing with GNOME.  A nice little automated demo will
> > show things nicely.
>
> Hrm. I'd like to play with this, but I can promise nothing in this
> time frame. Did you have any ideas on how you wanted to do it?

Well, the participants are people who are in government and small to
midsized companies.  A great target in my opinions.  So you'll see
people who are sysadmins at school systems, or work in state govt,
or have consultancy firms and so forth.

Strategically, What you probably want to show off is this:

* multimedia capabilities

  * creating theora videos for educational purposes (ex the demo itself)
  * streaming video demo

* office compatibility (nebulous..no idea on how to show that)
* maybe a sabayon demo on sysadmining GNOME boxen etc.
* file management

Stuff though like beagle would be killer because being able to get
real time info about things would really drum up interest in GNOME.
It's exactly the kind of thing that Windows doesn't have.

Thats some stuff off the top of my head.

sri