Re: Pronouncing "GNOME"

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 22:26 -0300, Ian McIntosh wrote:
> Ask a 16 year-old girl to say "guh-nome" and watch her eyes role.  A
> word that's hard, uncomfortable, or just dorky will be said less often
> by everyone.
>
> -Ian

My eyes aren't rolling, though I am severely biased.

Personally, I like guh-nome. And I don't really think that the
pronunciation makes much of a difference - it's a text-based medium.
Really, nobody cares about how you say it. IIRC, on the GUADEC videos
there were people pronouncing it both ways and nobody even blinked.

It's just a little bit of personality, which I doubt has any affect
whatsoever on the appeal of GNOME itself.

Then again, I just spend a good chunk of my days around other similarly
aged (14-18) people, so who am I to say. ;)

A. Christine Spang
http://frisia.middle-earth.us