Re: Poster templates (request for comments)

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:51:13 +0100
David Neary <bolsh gimp org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm no artist, but I wanted to try and come up with a usable
> template for a poster or two while I have the chance (I have a
> couple of days off work before Christmas).
>
> The theme would be to focus on places where GNOME is used in poor
> communities and schools, showing the human face of GNOME as well
> as the community aspect of the project.
>
> The top bit I'm not happy with - the "X chose GNOME" or "X
> chooses GNOME", but I have no had luck with a better way of
> saying it.
>
> I'm also slightly unhappy with the layout, but I'm hoping
> Sebastien can come up with something better based on this :)
>
> There are two templates - one with a simple
> slogan/graphic/"software for everyone", and a second one with
> space for a few paragraphs of text.
>
> I did them in Inkscape, which doesn't have things like text boxes
> or columns of text in boxes, simply because using scribus here on
> my wee computer is impossible.
>
> Any ideas for improving the overall balance of the posters, and
> perhaps suggestions of the types of texts we should put in them?
>
> I like the idea of having a template with a good core idea and
> layout - it will give us a low-effort way to get a number of
> different posters, as well as allowing local user groups to focus
> more on stories and deployments which suit the region best.

Hi, Dave.

I like the template idea, as well as the idea to show the human face.

Let me just point out three issues.

First, getting appropriate images could turn to a complicated problem. I
don't know what you used in the drafts - I got an broken image here.

What sort of images do you think of ?

Second, posters smaller than DIN A3 usually look unprofessional. I
guess, you'd like the templates to be used locally. Is the ability to
print larger than DIN A4 available in most parts of the world ?

Third, long texts (everythink beyond a short paragraph) is seldomly
read on posters of single page ads. If one can't read it in a second,
most people don't do it.

As an alternative to the latter two, I'd like to suggest to use double
folded landscape DIN A4 (or the local format) flyers as a "Give-away" at
meetings, presentations, etc. These can be printed an a standard
printer, folded within a few hours, and their texts are more likely to
get read because that's something people can grap with their hands.

Cheers,

Claus